Thursday, April 1, 2010

To Buy, Or Not To Buy

...whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the bluescreens and pointers of outrageous Windows, or take arms against an operating system of troubles and, by opposing, end their monopoly.

...err, or something like that.

The wait is almost over, and the Next Big Thing from Apple Computing is about to hit the streets. A few reviews are already out, and more will surely happen over the coming days as the new tablet almost-computer goes public. The pre-release reception, ever since the original unveiling at the beginning of the year, has been mixed. This is definitely going to be a niche device, even though competitors are already fast at showing off their own versions of keyboard-less computing.

Palmtop computing has taken great strides since the first Personal Data Assistant devices hit the markets. Monochrome gave way to color, memory expansion turned into accessories, and eventually the devices added wireless connectivity to the point where PDAs melded with cellphones.

Desktop computing has also moved in leaps and bounds. As desktop computers became commonplace, laptops started to be optimized for business, and eventually even caught up to what most home users wanted for their personal entertainment. Video displays got larger, more powerful, and the laptop is now replacing most desktop systems for the average computer enthusiast. Extreme gaming and other high-end graphics still usually need the power of a full desktop machine, but even that fine line is getting blurry.

Laptops started getting too big, so people want to go small again. Netbooks came around, with smaller sizes yet fast and efficient processors. The latest 3-D games might not play so well on the tiny Acer and HPs, but surfing the web, checking email, and even daily work isn't too bad, and with the smaller footprint, all the easier to pack up and take home at the end of the day.

Cellphones - now smartphones - grew up from PDAs. Laptops grew up (down?) from Desktops. Apple's iPad and other tablet computing systems are coming to try and fill that final gap.

But why? Is there really a need for something almost the size and weight of a netbook, but with the power of an iPod Touch or iPhone?

I've been watching the consumer computing market for a little while. My two desktop systems are rapidly approaching the end of their lifecycle, and it is getting harder to find replacement parts to make even minor upgrades and repairs. At the same time, the notebook I purchased almost four years ago has also decided it doesn't want to load anymore. As a budding writer and news hound, it is almost impossible to work without some kind of computing system. So the hunt is on to find the next useful toy for my computing arsenal.

That being said, I have never been a real fan of Microsoft Windows. Although the operating system has gotten better over the years, there are still some issues which bug me. Customization being one of the key things. I don't do a lot of power computing, but I do like the security and customization capabilities of Linux. But Linux isn't the be-all-end-all system either, because it can lag behind in capabilities with newer computers and peripherals, and on the occasion of desiring to play a hot new game, even with Windows emulations it isn't quite up to speed. Apple's main operating system - OSX "Leopard" - has a nice layout and is fairly secure (being based on BSD). But the hardware is much more expensive, and there can still be some compatiblity issues.

But do I really need all that power at my fingertips anymore? The more I look at my computers, my cellphone (LG enV Touch - the not-quite-so-smart-phone), and even the iPod Touch I snagged last Fall, the more I fall to the smaller, handier gadgets and away from the computers. With the laptop dead for all intents and purposes, I should replace it with something equally portable. As much as I like the iPod, it's a bit small for some of my daily tasks, and the cellphone is equally small, and not quite as user-friendly for some things.

I like how the iPad looks, and the ease of use I found with the iPod translates well since the new tablet is mostly an oversided Touch. One review I read already was actually written using the iPad, and that reviewer seemed to like it. Others have downplayed the touchscreen keyboard and claimed it isn't comfortable for long bouts of computing genius.

As much as I do enjoy writing, blogging, and general chatting, I don't expect marathon sessions on the device I decide to get. If the iPad does come within my reach, I will surely have to give it a test drive - and I will be watching the reviews and demonstrations over the next few days as the showcase is unveiled. My other option is to find a netbook, and hope it will take an Ubuntu install.

Ultimately, is all the hype going to prove itself or is this next generation destined to follow the last attempt by Apple - the Newton?

No comments:

Post a Comment