Saturday, March 13, 2010

I Didn't Get to Say Goodbye

So it's the end of the work week. Actually, I've already been done since Friday morning, so I'm already well into my Saturday; that's what happens when you start at midnight Monday morning. The news business can be funny that way. Especially when something hot comes up in the last few hours of the morning, and I end up being the "go to" guy to get the quick video. Makes for a long morning...

Not only is it the end of the week, some might call it the end of an era.

Our morning anchor has left the Southeast to return to her roots up North. She will be missed by some, I'm sure; there are others who are probably happy to see her go. Plenty of people from the newsroom came out in the morning to wish her well, with hot chocolate and Dunkin' Donuts. They seemed to be having a good time, but the news doesn't always wait. I was out the door with camera in hand just as the crowd gathered, and by the time I returned most of the treats were gone.

A fire broke out at a restaurant in the early hours, in a town about an hour from our station. Everything seems to be an hour from the studio, especially when it's something fairly big - fires, car accidents, shootings and other crimes. Grabbing a camera and dashing off to get decent video is what I live for. I know I can write, I have a fair handle on producing a newscast I think, but getting behind a camera, finding the angle, putting it all together, is a technical and artistic accomplishment which satisfies me.

As I said, once I returned, the food was mostly eaten, the newsroom was starting to meet for the daily routine, and the work was still there to finish for me. I managed to put together a good video, and left it in good hands. Turning around the office as I grabbed my stuff to go, I saw no sign of the departing anchor.

Things were left unsaid; it probably should bother me, but I really am not losing sleep over it. I do wish her the best as she returns home, and hold no ill will towards her. I learned a lot early on working with her, so I am grateful for that.

But I didn't get to say goodbye.

So there it is... goodbye. It's all the closure I need at this point; there is no need to dwell on the past, this is the news business after all. Time to look forward to hunting down the next story, and working with the new morning anchor.

1 comment:

  1. Well, shoot. If she's returning to her northern roots, send her an email to her new station.

    Unless, of course, she follows your blog.

    ReplyDelete